Artichoke, Asparagus, Spinach, Sun-dried Tomato, Mushroom, Onion Pizza
by Gail Davis
- 1 packaged pizza dough (I like the pizza dough made by a local company, The Bread Stop)
- 1 16-oz jar Trader Joe’s Fat-free Pizza Sauce (or favorite/homemade tomato sauce)
- ½ yellow onion, sliced into ¼-inch rings
- 8 asparagus stalks, tough ends removed
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 15-oz can artichoke hearts, drained and sliced into ¼”-thick rings
- sun dried tomatoes
- fresh basil, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 450°F. Roll out pizza dough and place on a lightly-oiled pizza pan or pizza stone. Bake on the bottom rack for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and gently press down any parts that have risen.
While dough is baking, using a large skillet, gently cook onions in a tablespoon of olive oil, or for a fat-free version, use ¼ cup water. (If you have more time, you can caramelize the onions for even more flavor!) Remove from heat, and set aside.
Place asparagus spears in a steamer basket, and steam for 3 minutes, just until bright green in color. Remove from pot, and set aside.
Spread sauce over par-baked pizza dough, and then evenly place asparagus spears over pizza, so that each pizza slice will have an asparagus spear at its center. Arrange spinach, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, onions, and basil around asparagus spears, decorating as you please. Bake on center rack for an additional 15-20 minutes, until outer crusts begins to turn slightly golden-brown.