- Listen to the June 26, 2012 show (or download the archive): http://www.vegnetbend.org/atv-showarchives/allthingsvegan-2012June26.mp3%20
Sally Malanga, Ecco Bella founder, talks about cruety-free beauty and her work with Friends of Animals
In today’s show, we talk with Sally Malanga, President and Founder of Ecco Bella Cosmetics. Sally shares the vegan epiphany that led to her founding Ecco Bella as a cruelty free beauty products company, and tells us what she feels it takes to create real beauty—inside and out.
We also bring you an update on the successful Just One Day campaign, a day in which animal shelters across the nation were asked to ease overcrowding by making every effort to find homes for adoptable animals—instead of killing them. Additionally, Judy brings you a roving dining review from Las Vegas. And, we expose the truth behind a long-running fast food taco rumor.
And, of course, we highlight the latest News from the Vegan Frontier, let you know about vegan related happenings in and around Central Oregon, and more!
In this episode, we bring you an interview with Sally Malanga, President and Founder of Ecco Bella Cosmetics. Sally is a passionate vegan advocate who recognized the need for ethical and cruelty free beauty products in an industry where testing on animals is the norm. When she couldn’t find what she wanted—she decided to create them herself—and Ecco Bella was born.
She also serves on the board of Friends of Animals, a non-profit, international animal advocacy organization. Friends of Animals works to cultivate a respectful view of nonhuman animals, free-living and domestic, with the goal to free animals from cruelty and institutionalized exploitation around the world.
News from the Vegan Frontier:
- No Live Animals At London Olympic Opening Ceremony
- Olympic ceremony could fall foul of animal welfare laws
- Chinese Athletes Going Veg Before Olympics
- Hormones in Dairy Wastewater Persist for Years
- Illegal Slaughter Operator Pleads Guilty to Felony Animal Cruelty, Sentenced to Jail
- African monkey meat that could be behind the next HIV
- Bushmeat Could Cause Next Pandemic
- Pandemic Prevention: Bird Flu and Emerging Infectious Diseases
- Bird Flu: A Virus of Our Own Making
- Six months in: nine nations STILL defying the ban (on the barren battery cage)
- Black Bears Can Count?
- ‘The Simpsons’ Co-Creator is Buying Sea Shepherd a New Ship
- Vets issue pet safety reminder after dog’s heat stroke death
- petMD.com Lists the Top 10 Pet Safety Tips for the 4th of July
- Born Free USA
Veg Out ‘N About (in Central Oregon):
Featuring Hola! With 4 locations in Central Oregon, Hola offers Peruvian cuisine with a few vegan options. Try the Rancheros enchiladas, filled with seasoned potatoes and topped with lettuce, tomatoes, and avocados. Or the mixed salad, made with a variety of greens with Roma tomatoes, mango, cucumbers, jicama, oranges, and avocado, and dressed with hibiscus agave vinaigrette. Also, their beans and rice are vegan.
For more information, see holabend.com.
Veg Out ‘N About (World):
Featuring Pura Vida Bakery & Bystro. The 1st 100% cruelty free vegan restaurant in Las Vegas. Of note: Chocolate waffle french toast or pancakes topped with maple vegan butter, fresh berries, bananas, caramel and apples, walnut and chocolate espresso, or mango. The Aruba Empanadas with yams, cranberries, vegan sausage, non-dairy cream cheese, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, peppers, and herbs. Or, the Chocolate Banana Dream smoothie. Plenty of muffins, sweet-breads, brownies, cookies, and cakes are also available.
For more information, see puravidavegas.com
News around Town:
VegNet Bend monthly meeting and potluck: 6p, June 27, The Environmental Center, 16 NW Kansas, Bend. Bring a vegan dish to share and your recipe and list of ingredients. This month’s presentation will be by Dr. Byron Maas, For more information about this event, see VegNet Bend Group on Facebook or email email@example.com.
Theme song and musical clips courtesy of Paul Seymour. To learn more about Paul or his music, please visit paulseymour.com.au.
All Things Vegan airs on KPOV, Bend Community Radio.
Filed under: Episodes, Interviews Tagged: | animal, beauty, bella, bend, byron, cosmetics, cruelty, day, ecco, free, friends, hola, just, kill, las vegas, maas, malanga, neutering, no, one, oregon, pura, sally, vegan, vegnet, vida, welfare, wildlife, zinc