- Listen to the October 23, 2012 show (or download the archive): http://www.vegnetbend.org/atv-showarchives/allthingsvegan-2012Oct23.mp3%20
Gary Smith, of The Thinking Vegan blog, gives a first-hand account of a protest in Los Angeles in which activists temporarily shut down Farmer John, a plant that kills 6000 pigs a day.
In this episode, you’ll have an opportunity to meet Gary Smith, a long time animal activist and owner of The Thinking Vegan blog. You’ll hear his first-hand account of the protest in Los Angeles that we talked about on our last show, where activists temporarily shut down the Farmer John plant: A facility that kills 6000 pigs a day. You’ll also hear why a Florida businessman spent the weekend in a cage at Miami-Dade Animal Services, and why some activists allowed themselves to be branded with the number “269.” And, you’ll learn how firefighters saved the life of an unconscious border collie named Leah after a house fire. Plus, we give you some tips on veganizing your Halloween holiday.
And, of course, we highlight the latest News from the Vegan Frontier, let you know about vegan related happenings in and around Central Oregon, and more!
Gary Smith is a long time animal activist, owner of The Thinking Vegan blog, which focuses on veganism as a social justice movement, and co-founder of Evolutus, a public relations agency working for a better world.
You’ll hear Gary’s first-hand account of the protest in Los Angeles that we talked about on our last show, where activists temporarily shut down the Farmer John plant; a facility that kills 6000 pigs a day. Gary also tells us about his involvement in the Beagle Freedom Project.
News from the Vegan Frontier:
- Pets’ Trust Founder Begins Weekend In Animal Shelter Cage
- Museum Kills Two Mules For ‘Realistic’ Display
- Action Alert: Act Now to Save Bill and Lou!
- Casey Affleck Condemns Cruel Dehorning
- Cat-Eating Festival: Peru’s ‘Gastronomic Festival Of The Cat’ Includes A Feline Menu
- Texas firefighters bring border collie Leah back from the brink after house fire
- Vegan Halloween: Have fun while staying true to your vegan commitments
Veg Out ‘N About:
News around Town:
VegNet Bend will hold their monthly meeting and potluck at 6p, Oct 24, at The Environmental Center, 16 NW Kansas in Bend. Bring a vegan dish to share and your recipe or list of ingredients. Food demo by Ciree Linsenman: Indian flapjacks, fruit chutneys, and more!
Theme song and musical clips are courtesy of Paul Seymour. To learn more about New Zealand / Australia based Paul or his music, please visit paulseymour.com.au.
All Things Vegan airs on KPOV, Bend Community Radio.